09 February, 2007

Van Gogh Project Update

Katherine Tyrrell, over at Making a Mark, has this update on how everyone is doing on the VG project.
I also wanted to paste what I said on her posting, since I hear some artists struggling with various issues about van Gogh. My comments follow:

This is a good round up. Much thanks.
Other than some some really bad photoshopping on my part (albeit entertaining), I am attempting to recognize the long shadow of VG's person, and at the same time his oeuvre that I describe as "colorist". That's "colourist" for all you English-speakers.
I don't link his bad behavior to his earthshaking body of work. Some pretty cunning, and I think altogether preposterous theories have been put forth by absolute experts on VG.
He had a condition that made him "see" everything slightly yellow, you see.
He sucked on the end of his lead-covered brush, you know.
His condition made him super keen to produce art differently than his fore bearers.
Whatever. It doesn't pass muster with me. And I write these things to encourage my peerage in this project to try to take the "old man" with a grain of salt.
There is forgiveness, especially postmortem. Look at the parts of his work that inspire you, and follow that muse.

I took my son to the art store and we purchased some varied drawing papers, with tints that put me in the mood for VG drawings. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism