22 June, 2010

Degas Copies

Degas Copy - Ballerina 2
15" x 12"
Pastel & Charcoal
Casey Klahn


This post originally published at Pastel, Degas Copies - Irrelevant; Not Irreverent. March 11, 2010.


These Degas copies were done by free-hand copying from Degas' sketches, with some measuring for proportions. The one posted today was then transferred to a La Carte board the old fashioned way by making a charcoal negative and rubbing the backside to leave an outline. The color is added by imagination, and with heavy influence from memories of Degas' style and color choices.

I have decided that he truly was focused on the drawing component of his pictures, and his "candid snapshots" of figures relied on draftsmanship and his realist ideas.



On The Easel

These copies cannot be sold, or submitted for juries, because of their
derivative nature. They may be irrelevant, but they are not irreverent.






3 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

You copy Degas, I copy Wolf Kahn. It's always worth it and I learn something every time I do it.

I think it comes from maintaining a beginner's mindset. I am learning. I am studying. I am trying to see how it felt to make that mark, to pick that color, to do that stroke.

And then, when you've done it, it's there. Inside you. And you will use it. Super work, Casey.

http://peacefulones.blogspot.com said...

Really a wonderful piece. Nice that you can enjoy your work and learning, even if it doesn't "Pay" as a sale in the short-term.

Still really love the "Big Red Tree" we have in the entry.

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks, Rosemarie and Wally. I liked this image so much I re-posted it. Hope to see you two again before too long.

Hey, Katherine. I am following your Alaska trip with every post you make.

I copy Wolf Kahn, too. A couple of these I will frame for myself. Thanks!

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism