06 October, 2010

Paint Better Now

Towpath in Winter, After Wolf Kahn
Pastel
8.5" x 11.75"
Casey Klahn


A new essay series is in the works and I will post very soon. Last year, after returning from Sausalito, I wrote about how to get a juicy prize for yourself. I want all of my readers who are artists to excel, and you will find some inspiration in that series. If you aren't an artist, but want to reach for the brass ring in any field, have a look. How to Paint for the Prize.

The upcoming series is a result of some recent conversations I've been having with artists and patrons. I want to offer you my ideas about creating art that is based on the best common denominator - ideas themselves. The most accessible fine art has some truth to reveal, and if you want to swim in that pool of making art that speaks, you must have ideas.

Meanwhile, I have been busy cleaning my studio and getting ready for the next events. At the same time, I am doing some professional development by taking a course online from the excellent Deborah Paris.

Please stay tuned.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey,
Wonderful expression! I find your color choices compelling. It does remind me of Wolf Kahn...maybe with a Northwest, Casey twist!

Casey Klahn said...

I actually did do a Northwest version, based on an original scene but in WK's style. I'll post it again soon.

Thanks about the colors, Peggy. One thing I do with colors is I choose the color composition early in the process - often before the linear composition. Also, I ask as much from the pastel's intensity as I can get away with and still read as a landscape. That is definitely something WK does.

Sonya Johnson said...

I'll look forward to seeing/reading the new series, Casey.

Love the colors and simplicity of your painting; I also know that it is much harder than it appears to achieve this in one's work.

Casey Klahn said...

I value your readership very much, Sonya. Thanks, and I guess that could be a whole series in itself - simplicity. Good thoughts.

loriann signori said...

Hi Casey, Can't wait for the new essay series!

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks, friend, and thanks for reading.

Jean Spitzer said...

Staying tuned. Meanwhile, I've bought some Sennelier card and will start trying it.

The painting you posted is lovely. And now I know about Wolf Kahn. Thanks.

Brian McGurgan said...

Looking forward to the new series of essays, Casey. I'm in the final week of Deborah's "The Magic Hours" class right now and am enjoying it and learning a ton as always.

Casey Klahn said...

Jean, I'm glad you found WK. Hope the Sennie card is a great thing for you, too.

We are fellow travelers, Brian. My class is challenging.

bridget Hunter said...

Really like this work - the colours chosen by you and the composition. Don't really understand the technical stuff about Google and utube and links - but come here for your paintings - the inspiration. Thanks

Casey Klahn said...

I am lucky, and appreciative, to have you reading, Bridget.

Celeste Bergin said...

I will come back and read the series--what an interesting subject. I love the Towpath in Winter--it is gorgeous!

Casey Klahn said...

Very happy to have you reading, Celeste. Thanks @ the painting.

Unknown said...

Your painting is wonderful, as is your advice. Without the idea - the concept - there's no possibility of bringing authenticity to the work because it will never reflect what makes the artist's perceptions unique in this world. Good advice!

Casey Klahn said...

Thanks for those words, Kathy - I value you here.

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism