29 October, 2012

Color & Wolf Kahn

<><><>



Wolf Kahn, Color & Consequence

from Ameringer | McEnery | Yohe on Vimeo.


I find that embedded videos that are not You Tube load slower than anything You Tube.  What is up with that?

There is a river image in this exhibit that solves a compositional problem for me on a particular river work that has noodled around in my head for a number of years.  It is a transformative thing.  You may enjoy Wolf Kahn's color ideas, but his compositions are very edgy and deserve some study.

2 comments:

loriann signori said...

I am curious casey, what was the solution?

Casey Klahn said...

Hi, Loriann!

If you look on the prior post to this, on the slide show thumb, on the right side is the painting Upper Potomac. Also, it is on page 61 of the catalog.

I have a couple of photos of the Little Hoquiam River that are actually taken from this same high angle, and the river runs by just so, with the trees about like this. I struggled with two big starts that were just flat and unexciting.

Well, I haven't gotten to it, yet, but I want to take the compositional lessons WK shows here, reduce them to principles, and see if any can be applied to my scene. I hope to not have the same outlines and I know for sure I won't have the same colors. I know he'd cringe when I say "principles," but that's the idea: to emulate his decisions.

It is very cool and exciting. I do struggle with high viewpoints above the river, and Upper Potomac is not only pleasing, but it has that very surprising layout with which Wolf Kahn is so adroit.

Abstract Expressionism, Art Criticism, Artists, Colorist Art, Drawing, History, Impressionism, Modern Art, Painting, Pastel, Post Impressionism